White Girl Chili Relleno10:31 AM
I LOVE chili Relleno and have been wanting to try and make it for a while but it seemed so hard. Once I figured out how simple it was I couldn't wait to try it. Now my version is a little different then the authentic but tasted the same to ME!
Whole Bell Peppers (My store was out of Poblano Peppers :/)
Small can of Tomato Sauce
- Heat your oven to 400 and roast the peppers until charred on all sides. Be sure to turn them as they char.
- Immediately place the peppers into a plastic bag with a small damp napkin inside. Let the peppers steam for about 5 minutes. The skin should peel off really easily, if not place them back in the bag for a little bit longer.
- Peel the skin off the peppers and cut a slit down the center and remove all of the seeds.
- Allow time to cool and place a few big chunks of jack cheese inside the peppers and close with a couple toothpicks.
- To prepare your batter you will need to whip up some egg whites with salt( I made 4 peppers and 2 egg whites was enough.)Whip until the whites form stiff peaks and set aside.
- Beat egg yokes and fold into whites.
- Heat 1/4 inch of oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Coat the stuffed peppers with a light dusting of flour, then dip them in the egg so they are fully covered. Carefully place in the hot oil, and fry on both sides until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat Salsa and tomato sauce in a sauce pan and poor over chili's. SOOOO yummy!